We’ve said it so many times it has become a daily mantra for every mom and dad: We just want our kids to be healthy and happy. We think it’s safe to say that it’s much easier to safeguard our kids’ health. But their happiness? There are so many factors that come into play when it comes to one’s happiness—and some of these things are, sadly, beyond our control. But understanding the psychology or science of raising happy kids is half the battle.
Happify has created an infographic that explains just that. Some key things to remember:
1. Be a nurturing parent.
2. Work on our happiness too.
3. Stay optimistic and our kids will too.
4. Praise kids for their effort, not just for good results.
5. Not all kids are created equal, so our parenting style should be flexible.
6. Remember that kids are resilient… more than we think, in fact. However, domestic conflict of any kind should still be managed.
7. Allow our kids to live with purpose.
8. Teach our kids kindness.
9. Playtime is crucial for developing creativity, motor skills, emotional strength, cognition, and social skills.
10. Keep kids active and build happy memories.
Here is the infographic. (You can even buy it as a poster.)
What do you think of these tips?
For more science-based tips for a happier, healthier life—for you and your family—check out Happify.